Monday, July 14, 2008

A Purple Castle that Inspired this Writer.

Finally, I have managed to upload some of the images of the Purple Castle that has inspired my imagination for years now. Unfortunately, the exterior of the house is neglected. So use your imagination and imagine this unusual house in a beautiful green setting, with colorful flowers all around it, instead of the dead grass and weeds that actually do surround it. And think of a man and wife, who had a dream of building a unique house, 14 years ago, and actually did it. All the work, from beginning to the present, was done by the two of them. They designed it, and built it together from the ground up, which is quite an accomplishment, if you think about it. Above, you see the backside of the house. When I shot this photo, I was afraid to step back anymore than I already had, because just a few feet behind me is a steep ravine/hill. This is the side that you see in the winter, when the trees on the huge hill the house sits on, are leafless. And as you're traveling on the highway below the hill, you get this glimpse of the Purple Castle, looking down on all travellers. (Well, okay, the purple house that sort of resembles a castle.) And that's Sandra standing to the side. I didn't realize she was in the picture until I uploaded it. Duh!
This is the front side of the house with its purple fence, as it faces a two-lane blacktop road. It is where Eileen and I were parked, when I ventured out to take pictures of the house, and Sandra came out and gave me permission to take as many shots as I wanted.
As you can see, the porch is stacked up with furniture and other stuff which isn't exactly flattering looking, but you can nevertheless see the unusual architecture of the house.
This is a giant, wall-sized painting, inside the house, of a magnificent buck, done by Sandra, who is an artist. Isn't it beautiful? She said the painting was a labor of love, even though it took some time to finish it. Click on the picture to enlarge it and see it in all its glory!

As a writer, I enjoy doing exercises that are called prompts. The Purple Castle became my prompt and inspired a story. A fantasy fiction type story. It is slowly evolving, and it's about an unhappy, lonely woman who has the reoccurring dreams of a beautiful, Purple Castle. She begins to love the dream so much, that she doesn't want to wake up again! Well, that is all I will give away about the plot of this story, but Eileen is already talking about making it into a movie, with the theme music in the background to be "Deep Purple." LOL. But I'm just hoping to get a short story out of it, even if just for my own satisfaction.


I have several more pictures of both the exterior and the interior, but I think the few that I have chosen to upload, were good choices. As always, click on the pictures to get a larger, full view of them.

Well, I have made this post long enough for now. I hope you enjoyed seeing this writers inspiration from a lovely Purple Castle!

Thank you for reading. Have a wonderful week, everyone!


31 comments:

Jmkdreak said...

Finally, to see the purple castle pictures! It sure is unusual and PURPLE! glad you got to enjoy it.


xoxox

Brenda said...

Renie,
You are so brave to have had this adventure! I mean to have had the owner come out when you were taking the picture and then for her to have been so nice and let you come in and take pictures. Cool story and also the pictures turned out great.

Hopefully you will let us read your story when you finish it!

Take care,
Brenda

Mike Golch said...

Renie, Thank you for these photos. I adore the house. simply for the Two count the two Turrets!
Hugs and Blessings.That's my story and I'm sticking to it.!

Grandy said...

Purple is my favorite color. This is a great story. :)

BClark said...

Yes Renie, looking at that inspires all kinds of stories. The details they have put into the house are amazing. For the two of them to have done so much of the work I can understand why it is still in progress. Sandra is a very talented artist, I know how long it takes me to do small painting. To think of tackeling a whole wall boggels my poor little brain. I would love to see more pictures. How cool to live their fantasy. Best to you Sweet Lady, Barbara

sandy said...

Fantastic!!! Such a great read and photos. This IS a unique house and it sure would have caught my eye and camera. I hope you get that short story written and share it here.

That was so fun, Renie,thanks!!

p.s. what a great artist she is.

Nonnas News said...

What a neat house/castle! I'm so glad you were able to share some photos of it with us. Sandra is quite the artist too! Thank you for sharing. I'm looking forward to the short story!

Patty said...

Wow that is some purple. LOL As for the view of it, I think I like the back side better, not so cluttered looking. I wonder, did they say why they chose purple? The painting is beautiful. Thanks for sharing and if you do get a short novel from this house, let me know if it's been published so i can buy it.

Mary said...

Renie,

The purple castle is beautiful. I have always wanted a house with turrets. I think having a writing room in one of those would be especially fun.

I love Sandra's painting of the buck. She is a talented lady. Thanks for sharing the story of the purple castle.

Have a great week.
Blessings,
Mary

Mississippi Songbird said...

Really cool pictures. Wouldn't it be fun to fix it back up, like they have the dream it should look..

Susie said...

Hi Renie,
So glad you were finally able to share pictures and a bit of the story of the Purple Castle.
I'm sure the story you write will be wonderful!
xo

Unknown said...

This is great! This is the first for me to see a purple house and the tile Purple Castle fits it for sure.

The house it self looks nearly Victornia style blended in with that old farm look style of a house.

That is a very beautiful painting of the Buck.

I'am looking foward at seeing the rest of your story if you do decide to share it with us that is.

Linda said...

Great pictures!! That is truly a purple house! Glad you were able to share them. The painting of the 8 point deer was magnificent!! Sandra is certainly talented.

I'm anxious to hear more of your new story. I'm with Eileen....Deep Purple would be most appropriate theme song for the story. lol

ancient one said...

Worth every bit of the wait! I loved those photos. I clicked them all to see them in all their splendor. That house would fit right in around here. They are ECU colors. I'm so glad the owners let you take those pictures!

Nancy said...

That house is really kind of charming. And to think they built it all with their own hands! Yes, that's quite a feat!!!

Love your story about the Purple Castle! Keep us posted on it! Sounds like a good one to read! Good luck with it!!!

(((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

how unique. a purple castle. come to think of it, i haven't really seen any purple painted house anywhere here.

Merle said...

Dear Renie ~~ A lovely purple home/castle. I look forward to reading more stories about it.
Thank you for your comments. I didn't know what a ganglion was either Renie. It is just a small bump or lump that appeared on the back of my wrist. I am glad you enjoyed the jokes my friend. How nice to have lots of tomatoes and cucumbers in the garden. Enjoy your son's visit with your
granddaughter. Don't worry tto much about blogging for a while. Living
life with loved ones is more important. Take care, dear friend,
Love, Merle.

hippo chick said...

Oh Renie,

I love the pictures. Imagine the house in its heyday. WOW!!!

I have already conjured up my own ending to your "Purple House" story. You are an inspiration.

Have a great rest of the week. It's still difficult to type. I start therapy this week and hope my hand will get increasingly stronger.

~hippo hugs~

Tina Coruth said...

Renie,

These photos are wonderful! I love this purple castle. I can see why it has inspired you. Your short story will be a great read - I know that for sure.

The lady, the owner, is a wonderful artist. The painting is magnificent. I'm so glad you posted it and the photos of the purple house.

I hope you are having a terrific week!

hugs,
Tina

Tina Coruth said...

Hi Renie,

I'm back to let you know that my bush that looks like the one you pictured in your May post finally flowered a few weeks ago. I posted the photos. I also found out what it is called - at least I think I did! LOL When you get a chance, come on over and see if we have the same bush!

Have a great week, my friend!
Hugs,
Tina

ancient one said...

Hey Renie,

Someone has given me an award and I want to give it to you. Come over and pick it up. Love ya!

Loretta said...

I love that house! No one would ever have a problem finding you if you lived there. I love anything "different".

Mountain Mama said...

That is an incredible house. I can't imagine what ever inspired the builders, but I think you have a great idea about writing a story about it.
It would be fun to see the inside of the house. I imagine there are many 'nooks and crannies' and I just love places like that.
I noticed there are Iris growing all along the fence. I bet they are purple too.
Thanks for showing us this unusual house Renie.
Blessings

The W.O.W. factor! said...

Renie,can't wait until you finish your story! I can see why the Purple Castle inspired you to write it...it looks like a Storybook all by itself!
Great Post and got us all anticipating the finale!
Barb

2 LMZ FARMS said...

Yup, it's purple!!lol Can't wait till you finish the story of 'Deep Purple'. Hope you and yours have a blessed day

Gigi Ann said...

So glad you figured out how to get the purple house 'uploaded.'
My daughters favorite color is purple, she would just love this house.

Have a nice evening...

Midlife Mom said...

Oh I am so glad to see the purple castle! This is just a great story and I hope we get to read the story that you are forming in your mind!!! Thank you for such an interesting post!!!

audrey` said...

Dearest Renie

Wow!
Purple Castle with purple fence...
It's very unique and beautiful.

The plot to your story is very exciting =)

Take care.

Nonnas News said...

Have a great weekend Renie!!

Sam said...

Oh I'm so glad we finally got the see the Purple Castle! It looks just incredible. I'd love a tour of the interior! And with a landscaped yard it would be a wonderland!

Sounds like your fiction story is going to be a real treat!

Deborah Wilson said...

Renie,

The purple house is indeed unique. The mural of the buck is lovely! Sandra must be a wonderful painter. I bet there is all kinds of little treasures in the house.